From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Writing a bash script or thinking about it anyway.
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:40:20
1 On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:08:18 +0100, Ward Poelmans wrote:
2
3 > You should take a look at rsnapshot ( http://rsnapshot.org/ ). I use
4 > it and it works perfectly. But it's written in perl and not bash, i'm
5 > afraid.
6
7 That misses the point. This isn't really about making backups, it's about
8 learning to write shell scripts. Backing up is just the project that Dale
9 has chosen for this first effort, at least that's how I read it.
10
11 Having said that, you need an underlying program to perform the backups,
12 and the main choices are tar and rsync. Rsync has all the advantages
13 already mentioned, but it does need a lot of space and needs the
14 filesystem to be used for backups to support all the metadata of the
15 source. Tar handles both of these issues, but incremental backups are
16 more complicated to make and restore. On the other hand, you do get
17 history, while rsync only has the most recent copy of the file. If you
18 found the file was corrupt just after an rsync backup, touch!
19
20 I really like BackupPC, but that's totally irrelevant to the original
21 question.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 We all know what comes after 'X', said Tom, wisely.