From: fei huang <daniel.huangfei@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deleted /boot
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:04:51
1 On 6/21/06, Mike Markowski <mm@××××.edu> wrote:
2 >
3 > Here's a little more info that might inspire some ideas out there in
4 > gentoo land. Since my /boot partition was possibly in a generally
5 > unhappy state, I booted the 2006.0 livecd, did a "mkfs /dev/sda1" (my
6 > /boot partition), then put grub and kernel stuff back on /boot. I was
7 > confident this would do it, but no go. Just to be sure nothing was left
8 > out, I even went through the grub set up process again as Daniel
9 > recommended in another post in this thread. Still no change.
12 Seems nothing unusual.
13
14 The boot process continues just prior to the "INIT 2.86" line when the
15 > init.d stuff is kicked off. While booted with the livecd, I checked and
16 > /sbin/init really is there (mine, not the livecd one). But when I tried
17 > to pass "init=/sbin/init" as a kernel arg in grub.conf, I got the same
18 > panic along with a message that /sbin/init couldn't be executed (or
19 > something similar - I forgot to write it down). But since I only hosed
20 > /boot and then reinstalled grub and kernel, I'm not sure why I'm not in
21 > business yet.
22 >
23 > Any ideas? "Bueller? Bueller?"
26 although the panic complains that init can not be executed, the problem
27 may not be caused by init, make sure to pass the correct "root" arg to
28 kernel, which is your root partition, not the same "root" when you are in
29 grub's shell.
30
31 Thanks,
32 > Frustrated in Pennsylvania (aka Mike)
33 >
34 > Mike Markowski wrote:
35 > > Well, when I do it, I do it right. Through a bad combination of typos
36 > > and missing an <enter> I deleted everything in /boot. :-(
37 > >
38 > > This is what I did to (try to) recover:
39 > >
40 > > # cd /boot
41 > > # mklost+found
42 > > # emerge grub
43 > > [...edited grub.conf...]
44 > > [...recompiled kernel & modules and installed...]
45 > >
46 > > I *thought* that's all I'd need, but upon boot up:
47 > >
48 > > Warning:unable to open an initial console
49 > > Kernel panic- not syncing: no init found. Try passing init= option to
50 > kernel
51 > >
52 > > I compiled the kernel myself, not with genkernel. I'm stumped at the
53 > > moment & would be glad to try any ideas anyone might have.
54 > >
55 > > Many thanks!
56 > > Mike
57 >
58 > --
59 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
60 >
61 > hope the snippet from my grub.conf helps:
62
63 title GENTOO BOX
64 root (hd0,6) # the /boot partition
65 kernel /kernel-2.6.16-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/sda9 # the / partition
66
67 well, I assume these stuff is quite basic to you, but before I could see
68 what exactly your configuration is, this is all I could think about.
69
70 good luck
71
72 daniel