From: Mike Markowski <mm@××××.Edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deleted /boot
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 02:05:34
1 Here's a little more info that might inspire some ideas out there in
2 gentoo land. Since my /boot partition was possibly in a generally
3 unhappy state, I booted the 2006.0 livecd, did a "mkfs /dev/sda1" (my
4 /boot partition), then put grub and kernel stuff back on /boot. I was
5 confident this would do it, but no go. Just to be sure nothing was left
6 out, I even went through the grub set up process again as Daniel
7 recommended in another post in this thread. Still no change.
8
9 The boot process continues just prior to the "INIT 2.86" line when the
10 init.d stuff is kicked off. While booted with the livecd, I checked and
11 /sbin/init really is there (mine, not the livecd one). But when I tried
12 to pass "init=/sbin/init" as a kernel arg in grub.conf, I got the same
13 panic along with a message that /sbin/init couldn't be executed (or
14 something similar - I forgot to write it down). But since I only hosed
15 /boot and then reinstalled grub and kernel, I'm not sure why I'm not in
16 business yet.
17
18 Any ideas? "Bueller? Bueller?"
19
20 Thanks,
21 Frustrated in Pennsylvania (aka Mike)
22
23 Mike Markowski wrote:
24 > Well, when I do it, I do it right. Through a bad combination of typos
25 > and missing an <enter> I deleted everything in /boot. :-(
26 >
27 > This is what I did to (try to) recover:
28 >
29 > # cd /boot
30 > # mklost+found
31 > # emerge grub
32 > [...edited grub.conf...]
33 > [...recompiled kernel & modules and installed...]
34 >
35 > I *thought* that's all I'd need, but upon boot up:
36 >
37 > Warning:unable to open an initial console
38 > Kernel panic- not syncing: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel
39 >
40 > I compiled the kernel myself, not with genkernel. I'm stumped at the
41 > moment & would be glad to try any ideas anyone might have.
42 >
43 > Many thanks!
44 > Mike
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list