From: Mike Markowski <mm@××××.Edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Deleted /boot
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 01:23:48
1 Well, when I do it, I do it right. Through a bad combination of typos
2 and missing an <enter> I deleted everything in /boot. :-(
3
4 This is what I did to (try to) recover:
5
6 # cd /boot
7 # mklost+found
8 # emerge grub
9 [...edited grub.conf...]
10 [...recompiled kernel & modules and installed...]
11
12 I *thought* that's all I'd need, but upon boot up:
13
14 Warning:unable to open an initial console
15 Kernel panic- not syncing: no init found. Try passing init= option to kernel
16
17 I compiled the kernel myself, not with genkernel. I'm stumped at the
18 moment & would be glad to try any ideas anyone might have.
19
20 Many thanks!
21 Mike
22 --