From: fei huang <daniel.huangfei@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deleted /boot
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 02:00:54
1 On 6/20/06, Mike Markowski <mm@××××.edu> wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, when I do it, I do it right. Through a bad combination of typos
4 > and missing an <enter> I deleted everything in /boot. :-(
5 >
6 > This is what I did to (try to) recover:
7 >
8 > # cd /boot
9 > # mklost+found
10 > # emerge grub
11 > [...edited grub.conf...]
12 > [...recompiled kernel & modules and installed...]
15 yep, but one thing you might had been missed is to setup grub, I've found
16 it's much clear to do it manually, you may refer to the gentoo manual as
17 well. although everything is there, you have to run setup to make grub
18 installed in MBR or the first sector of your boot partition.
19
20 I *thought* that's all I'd need, but upon boot up:
21 >
22 > Warning:unable to open an initial console
23 > Kernel panic- not syncing: no init found. Try passing init= option to
24 > kernel
25 >
26 > I compiled the kernel myself, not with genkernel. I'm stumped at the
27 > moment & would be glad to try any ideas anyone might have.
30 I'm not sure of this problem, since lots of stuff may cause this complain
31 message.
32 make sure the kernel and root partition are correct in your grub.conf. try
33 it.
36 Many thanks!
37 > Mike
38 > --