From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: help! IP blocking not working
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 21:16:41
1 On 06/09/2016 22:57, Grant wrote:
2 >> Hi, my site is being ravaged by an IP but dropping the IP via
3 >> shorewall is seeming to have no effect. I'm using his IP from nginx
4 >> logs. IP blocking in shorewall has always worked before. What could
5 >> be happening?
8 > I'm blocking like this with the firewall running on the web server:
9 >
10 > /etc/shorewall/rules
11 > DROP net:1.2.3.4 $FW
12 >
13 > Could shorewall/iptables see a different IP address than the one seen by nginx?
16 Most likely the file is configured but the firewall service wasn't
17 restarted or the rules no loaded.
18
19 Be careful with that one - it's all too easy to *think* you reloaded
20 them when you didn't and one's own confirmation bias kicks in. I see it
21 daily with everyone in my team (me included)
22
23 But as Jeremi pointed out. failsban is a far superior tool for this.
24 Ossec with it's active response is also good.
25 There are quite a few more tools in this space, and they all work much
26 the same way - scan logs looking for dodgy stuff going on the
27 dynamically apply a packet filter rule. The software also does it all
28 day every day, and that's a record you the human cannot hope to match :-)
31 Alan McKinnon
32 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com