From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: help! IP blocking not working
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 13:14:22
1 >>> Hi, my site is being ravaged by an IP but dropping the IP via
2 >>> shorewall is seeming to have no effect. I'm using his IP from nginx
3 >>> logs. IP blocking in shorewall has always worked before. What could
4 >>> be happening?
7 >> I'm blocking like this with the firewall running on the web server:
8 >>
9 >> /etc/shorewall/rules
10 >> DROP net:1.2.3.4 $FW
11 >>
12 >> Could shorewall/iptables see a different IP address than the one seen by nginx?
15 > Most likely the file is configured but the firewall service wasn't
16 > restarted or the rules no loaded.
19 I restarted shorewall plenty. :) I believe the issue was either a
20 persistent connection which conntrack-tools would have allowed me to
21 flush, or my blocking in /etc/shorewall/rules instead of
22 /etc/shorewall/blrules, or both.
25 > But as Jeremi pointed out. failsban is a far superior tool for this.
26 > Ossec with it's active response is also good.
27 > There are quite a few more tools in this space, and they all work much
28 > the same way - scan logs looking for dodgy stuff going on the
29 > dynamically apply a packet filter rule. The software also does it all
30 > day every day, and that's a record you the human cannot hope to match :-)
33 I'm happy to say fail2ban is running now:
34
35 # fail2ban-client status
36 Status
37 |- Number of jail: 10
38 `- Jail list: nginx-botsearch, nginx-http-auth, nginx-limit-req,
39 pam-generic, php-url-fopen, postfix, postfix-rbl, postfix-sasl, sshd,
40 sshd-ddos
41
42 I should probably play with the config a bit. I'm pretty much using
43 defaults. For example I think the sshd hackers make their attempts
44 really slowly but it would be nice to ban them anyway:
45
46 # fail2ban-client status sshd
47 Status for the jail: sshd
48 |- Filter
49 | |- Currently failed: 2
50 | |- Total failed: 58
51 | `- File list: /var/log/sshd/current
52 `- Actions
53 |- Currently banned: 0
54 |- Total banned: 3
55 `- Banned IP list:
56
57 Also I wish fail2ban-client would display a tally of all fails and
58 bans with a single command.
59
60 - Grant