From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] stable java virtuals require unstable java packages
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 07:02:57
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 22/04/2015 08:09, Dale wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >>> Turns out the virtual is working as designed - see Andreas's post
5 >>> above I recall now a discussion on -dev about this ages ago, and a
6 >>> consensus emerged then to keep things as they currently are (changing
7 >>> it requires much effort and has all manner of effects on the tree).
8 >>> The actual rule is: A virtual can (by definition) be stable as soon as
9 >>> one of its providers is stable.
10 >> So if we really don't want one of the other packages that satisfies what
11 >> the virtual needs, we need to mask the others locally?
12 >>
13 >> Great. :/
14 >>
15 >> Dale
16 >>
17 >> :-) :-)
20 > Not totally. Pick which package you want and emerge it, portage knows
21 > you have something that satisfies the virtual and will be happy with it.
22 >
23 > If you don't use the main provider that's first in the list, like
24 > Alexander has here, then portage gets wordy when the provider is not yet
25 > stabilized. Take note, keyword it if you need to, and move along with
26 > the rest of your life.
27 >
28 > No need to mask all the other providers
33 Whew!! Had me worried for a minute there.
34
35 Dale
36