From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] stable java virtuals require unstable java packages
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 06:54:12
1 On 22/04/2015 08:09, Dale wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> Turns out the virtual is working as designed - see Andreas's post
4 >> above I recall now a discussion on -dev about this ages ago, and a
5 >> consensus emerged then to keep things as they currently are (changing
6 >> it requires much effort and has all manner of effects on the tree).
7 >> The actual rule is: A virtual can (by definition) be stable as soon as
8 >> one of its providers is stable.
9 >
10 > So if we really don't want one of the other packages that satisfies what
11 > the virtual needs, we need to mask the others locally?
12 >
13 > Great. :/
14 >
15 > Dale
16 >
17 > :-) :-)
21 Not totally. Pick which package you want and emerge it, portage knows
22 you have something that satisfies the virtual and will be happy with it.
23
24 If you don't use the main provider that's first in the list, like
25 Alexander has here, then portage gets wordy when the provider is not yet
26 stabilized. Take note, keyword it if you need to, and move along with
27 the rest of your life.
28
29 No need to mask all the other providers
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com