From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.2.1 lancelot using 100% of a core
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 08:12:46
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Saturday 07 March 2009 09:03:30 Roy Wright wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> Recently upgraded to kde 4.2.1 and noticed that lancelot is reported by
6 >> top as 100% cpu. Looking at system monitor - cpu settings plasmoid, it
7 >> looks like 2 of the cores (quad core cpu) are optioning off at 100%.
8 >>
9 >> I'm curious if anyone else is seeing something similar?
10 >
11 > Hi Roy,
12 >
13 > By your wording I'd assume that Lancelot was fine with version 4.2.0? Are you
14 > having trouble with any other plasmoids? I get similar behaviour with some of
15 > the eye-candy compiz-style plugins, but Lancelot itself is solid (and vastly
16 > superior to that default menu thing).
17 >
18 > It's unlikely to be plasma itself, I see very little reports about that. It's
19 > more likely to be X related or drivers or some such.
20 >
21 > Please post back with details of your hardware, drivers, kde USE settings etc
22 > etc
25 Yes, no issues with kde 4.2.0. What happened is I'd upgraded to the bad
26 nvidia-drivers-180.35, downgraded to 180.29, then upgraded kde from
27 4.2.0 to 4.2.1. One weird side-effect of the 4.2.1 upgrade is that I
28 lost my plasma desktop layout. No biggy, I just added the plasmoids
29 back. Then I noticed the lancelot cpu usage issue. I have not noticed
30 any behavior problems. Kde 4.2 has been rock solid.
31
32 ~x86 system
33
34 emerge --info at http://pastebin.com/m6914fe90 (1 month duration)
35
36 lshw at http://pastebin.com/m5a355800 (1 month duration)
37
38 All I can think to try is to move my ~/.kde4.2 directory and let it
39 regenerate.
40
41 Thank you,
42 Roy