From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Windows-only wireless AP?
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 14:52:25
1 On Tuesday 07 July 2009 10:37:36 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 07 July 2009 10:34:07 Grant wrote:
3 > > I'm trying to connect to a WPA2 wireless router via wicd, but I can't
4 > > get past the authentication. The owner insists the password is
5 > > correct. I've spoken to the administrator and I was told the router
6 > > will connect Windows systems, some Mac systems, but no Linux systems.
7 > > Does this amount to the typical "Linux is not supported" response, or
8 > > could a router actually not work with Linux clients?
9 > >
10 > > I've also tried to connect via /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 and
11 > > wpa_supplicant, but I can't get much information about how it's
12 > > failing because it is backgrounded. Could net.wlan0 work even though
13 > > wicd fails, and if so, how can I get more info from net.wlan0?
14 >
15 > It's hard to see how a wireless router could bring that about without
16 > changing how WPA2 works (then it isn't really WPA2 anymore is it?). It's a
17 > standard protocol.
18 >
19 > WPA2 does work with wicd - are you getting anything in the logs at all
20 > using both methods?
21
22 Take the following with the usual grain of salt.
23 I don't use WPA myself, but I have seen issues with WEP-passwords where not
24 all systems convert it to the hash-value in the same way.
25
26 Try using the HEX-value for the WPA password rather then the "plain-text"
27 version.
28
29 Thanks,
30
31 Joost
32
33 ps. WEP is "ok" if you run a VPN over it :)