From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Windows-only wireless AP?
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 08:39:21
1 On Tuesday 07 July 2009 10:34:07 Grant wrote:
2 > I'm trying to connect to a WPA2 wireless router via wicd, but I can't
3 > get past the authentication. The owner insists the password is
4 > correct. I've spoken to the administrator and I was told the router
5 > will connect Windows systems, some Mac systems, but no Linux systems.
6 > Does this amount to the typical "Linux is not supported" response, or
7 > could a router actually not work with Linux clients?
8 >
9 > I've also tried to connect via /etc/init.d/net.wlan0 and
10 > wpa_supplicant, but I can't get much information about how it's
11 > failing because it is backgrounded. Could net.wlan0 work even though
12 > wicd fails, and if so, how can I get more info from net.wlan0?
13
14 It's hard to see how a wireless router could bring that about without changing
15 how WPA2 works (then it isn't really WPA2 anymore is it?). It's a standard
16 protocol.
17
18 WPA2 does work with wicd - are you getting anything in the logs at all using
19 both methods?
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com