From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CPU upgrade and LVM questions.
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2018 02:38:37
1 Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 12/9/18 3:45 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Grant,
4 >
5 > Hi Dale,
6 >
7 >> I'm not ignoring this email.
8 >
9 > I didn't presume you were.  ;-)
10 >
11 >> I just keep rereading it.  ;-)
12 >
13 > Okay.
14 >
15 > Is there an aspect of it that doesn't make sense?  Or that you're
16 > uncomfortable with?  Can I help alleviate the worry?
17
18 Just making sense of it.  Trying to get it firmly in my mind.  It just
19 seems to simple and easy to move that much data around and swap drives
20 even while in use.  o-O
24 >> I'm uncertain still how I'm going to do this.
25 >
26 > Would you like to walk through it?  At any level of detail?
27
28 I'm mostly trying to figure out what drive will go where.  On one hand,
29 I thought about having a single drive, 8TB, to store it all on.  On the
30 other, I thought of replacing one of the two 3TB drives with a 6TB
31 drive.  That will give me roughly 9TBs of storage.  Later on, I could
32 replace the other 3TB drive with another 6TB drive and then have 12TBs.
33 Then I'd have to rethink my backup method.  If I use the second method,
34 I can use the 8TB drive for backups since I don't backup everything.
35 Right now, I'm planning to do the second method.  I think long term, it
36 will work best plus I will have a spare drive if needed.
40 >> I'm considering encryption which would mean additional changes and
41 >> mount points.
42 >
43 > Depending on what your goal is, chances are good that encryption
44 > should not need to change mount points.
45 >
46 > That's one of the wonderful things about Linux.  You can change the
47 > block device that a file system lives on while still using the same
48 > mount point.  }:-)  You can /usually/ do it after the system is
49 > installed too.
50 >
51 > Would you like to share more details and discuss your current state as
52 > well as the future state that you'd like to get to?
53 >
54 >> I'm just not 100% sure yet.  I'm considering things that may require
55 >> a new thread.
56 >
57 > ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
58 >
59 > It still sounds to me like we are talking about modifying things about
60 > your LVM configuration, and discussing questions there about.  So, it
61 > seems like were' still under the 2nd half of the subject of this
62 > thread.   ;-)
63 >
64 >> Thanks much for this info.  The list of commands helps, largely.
65 >
66 > You're welcome.  I'm glad they help.  :-D
71 I started another thread about encryption stuff.  The reply you posted
72 tho is really helpful because it lists the commands all in one spot.
73 Most howtos have them spread all over the place and it makes it harder
74 for me to get what is going on, even if it is being explained a bit in
75 between the commands.  Sometimes, it just depends on how things hit me
76 thinking wise.  ;-)
77
78 I'll be writing those commands down before I do the change over.
79
80 Dale
81