From: Matt Neimeyer <matt@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Pipe Lines - A really basic question
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 17:25:15
1 My generic question is: When I'm using a pipe line series of commands
2 do I use up more/less space than doing things in sequence?
3
4 For example, I have a development Gentoo VM that has a hard drive that
5 is too small... I wanted to move a database off of that onto another
6 machine but when I tried the following I filled my partition and 'evil
7 things' happened...
8
9 mysqldump blah...
10 gzip blah...
11
12 In this specific case I added another virtual drive, mounted that and
13 went on with life but I'm curious if I could have gotten away with the
14 pipe line instead. Will doing something like this still use "twice"
15 the space?
16
17 mysqldump | gzip > file.sql.gz
18
19 OR going back to my generic question if I pipe line like "type | sort
20 | unique > output" does that only use 1x or 3x the disk space?
21
22 Thanks in advance!
23
24 Matt
25
26 P.S. If the answer is "it depends" how do know what it depends on?