From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 19:09:53
1 Grant wrote:
2 > ...
3 >
4 >> To confuse you even more, there is a swappiness setting as well. On my old
5 >> x86 rig, I have 2Gbs of ram. My hard drive is really slow since it is IDE.
6 >> I set swappiness to 20. That tells the kernel that I have swap space but
7 >> don't use it unless you must. For what I use the rig for, 2Gbs is plenty of
8 >> ram. The lower the swappiness setting, the less the kernel will try to use
9 >> ram. The higher the setting, the more it will try to use swap.
10 >>
11 >> I have a new rig that is amd64 and has SATA drives which are pretty fast. I
12 >> still have swappiness set to 20. Why do I have it set to 20 when the drives
13 >> are faster you ask? I have it set to 20 because I have 16Gbs of ram here.
14 >> Even if I have portage's work directory on tmpfs and am compiling OOo, it
15 >> should not need swap then either.
16 >>
17 >> By the way, my swap partition is 1Gb on both systems. Why have it this way
18 >> since one machine has 2Gbs and one has 16Gbs? As it has been said, you want
19 >> a little swap and even using a little swap is OK. You just don't want it to
20 >> be using swap and actually swapping data all the time. On my old rig, it
21 >> started out with 512Mbs. I use KDE and it got to the point where it was
22 >> using enough ram that it was not just using swap and letting things sit, it
23 >> was actively swapping data from swap and doing so a lot. It would only be
24 >> using a 100Mbs sometimes 200Mbs. The point is, it was slowing the system
25 >> down because of the swapping process. I bought a stick of ram and all was
26 >> well again. It would still use a 100Mbs of swap at times but it would not
27 >> be actively swapping the data back and forth so it wasn't a big deal.
28 >>
29 >> I think the point is this, it is good to have a little swap. It is even OK
30 >> for it to use a little swap when it is mostly sitting there. When you
31 >> notice it using swap and it is actively swapping and moving things back and
32 >> forth, you need more memory. Having the swap may can save you from a crash
33 >> but is can also give you a "time to add more ram" hint too. If Linux starts
34 >> using swap a good bit, you need more ram.
35 >>
36 > OK, how can you determine when a machine is actively swapping and
37 > moving things back and forth? Do you need to monitor the system with
38 > a real-time tool during peak usage?
39 >
40 > - Grant
45 I use gkrellm on mine. It has a little charty thingy. I think iotop
46 will show if anything is being swapped to. There may be others as well
47 for a console or non-X machine. Most people know of top but that really
48 doesn't help a lot. It doesn't show things moving just how much is
49 being used. I think there is a better command that shows this but dang
50 if I can recall it right now. Somebody help a old fart out here. lol
51
52 Dale
53