From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 19:06:00
1 ...
2 > To confuse you even more, there is a swappiness setting as well.  On my old
3 > x86 rig, I have 2Gbs of ram.  My hard drive is really slow since it is IDE.
4 >  I set swappiness to 20.  That tells the kernel that I have swap space but
5 > don't use it unless you must.  For what I use the rig for, 2Gbs is plenty of
6 > ram.  The lower the swappiness setting, the less the kernel will try to use
7 > ram.  The higher the setting, the more it will try to use swap.
8 >
9 > I have a new rig that is amd64 and has SATA drives which are pretty fast.  I
10 > still have swappiness set to 20.  Why do I have it set to 20 when the drives
11 > are faster you ask?  I have it set to 20 because I have 16Gbs of ram here.
12 >  Even if I have portage's work directory on tmpfs and am compiling OOo, it
13 > should not need swap then either.
14 >
15 > By the way, my swap partition is 1Gb on both systems.  Why have it this way
16 > since one machine has 2Gbs and one has 16Gbs?  As it has been said, you want
17 > a little swap and even using a little swap is OK.  You just don't want it to
18 > be using swap and actually swapping data all the time.  On my old rig, it
19 > started out with 512Mbs.  I use KDE and it got to the point where it was
20 > using enough ram that it was not just using swap and letting things sit, it
21 > was actively swapping data from swap and doing so a lot.  It would only be
22 > using a 100Mbs sometimes 200Mbs.  The point is, it was slowing the system
23 > down because of the swapping process.  I bought a stick of ram and all was
24 > well again.  It would still use a 100Mbs of swap at times but it would not
25 > be actively swapping the data back and forth so it wasn't a big deal.
26 >
27 > I think the point is this, it is good to have a little swap.  It is even OK
28 > for it to use a little swap when it is mostly sitting there.  When you
29 > notice it using swap and it is actively swapping and moving things back and
30 > forth, you need more memory.  Having the swap may can save you from a crash
31 > but is can also give you a "time to add more ram" hint too.  If Linux starts
32 > using swap a good bit, you need more ram.
33
34 OK, how can you determine when a machine is actively swapping and
35 moving things back and forth? Do you need to monitor the system with
36 a real-time tool during peak usage?
37
38 - Grant