From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2019 06:58:14
1 On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 5:12 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > On Mon, 4 Feb 2019 15:59:02 -0500, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > >
6 > >>> One reason I use LastPass, it is mobile. I can go to someone else's
7 > >>> computer, use LastPass to say make use of Paypal, Newegg, Ebay etc,
8 > >>> logoff and it is like I was never there.
9 > >> As much as I like Lastpass I would never do that. It isn't magic - it
10 > >> is javascript. If there is a compromise on your computer, then your
11 > >> password database will be compromised. This is true of other
12 > >> solutions like KeePassX and so on - if something roots your box then
13 > >> it will be compromised.
14 > > I don't see what root has to do with it. If someone gains access to your
15 > > box, they can copy the database file and then take their time trying to
16 > > crack the password, but you don't need to be root to do that.
17
18 Correct, it just needs access to the user's data or browser process,
19 which could mean running as root, or that user.
22 > I might point out, LastPass encrypts the password before sticking it in
23 > a file. It isn't visible or plain text. Even getting the file would
24 > still require some tools and cracking to get the password itself.
25
26 That assumes you're attacking the password file directly.
27
28 If you're using lastpass on a compromised system then there are many
29 ways that can be used to bypass the encryptions. They could sniff
30 your master password when you key it in, or read it directly from the
31 browser's memory. These things are protected from sandboxed code in
32 your browser, but not from processes running outside the browser
33 (unless again you're using a non-conventional privilege system like
34 selinux/android/etc).
37 Rich