From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] Kernel build failing on new install
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2020 05:09:57
1 On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 06:06:51PM +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote
2 > On Tuesday, 13 October 2020 15:13:34 BST Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >
4 > > It seems that deleting stuff in "make menuconfig" is 90% of the work in a
5 > > kernel config. All etherenet drivers are default enabled. What bugs me is
6 > > that with every kernel upgrade, "make oldconfig" shows a whole bunch of new
7 > > ethernet drivers, and they're all default enabled.
8 >
9 > You can avoid that by copying your .config file from the previous version.
10
11 That's what "make oldconfig" is about. Copy over the previous kernel
12 .config and use that as a starting point. Any additional ethernet
13 drivers in the new kernel are defaulted to enabled.
16 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
17 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications