From: Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [Update] - was 1.) Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interupt handler
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 19:35:55
1 On Fri, 2005-07-22 at 10:00 -0400, Robert Crawford wrote:
2 > > > I have an old IDE drive, maybe I can squeeze Gentoo on it for testing.
3 > > > Bob has a good idea too regarding the CPU compound under the heat-sink
4 > > > but at CPU temp. 39C I don't see how that could cause any problem.
5 > > >
6 > > > --
7 > > > #Joseph
8 >
9 > No matter what the temp sensors are reading, your problem definitely sounds
10 > like it's heat related. Temp sensor readings can, and often are not accurate,
11 > sometimes to an amazing degree. I don't know what type of sensor your cpu
12 > uses, but if it's the type under the cpu, it might not be in good contact
13 > with the cpu itself, thus giving false readings, I wouldn't be surprised if
14 > your cpu temp was really over 50C. In my experience, temps over 50C. with
15 > AMD 32bit cpus start giving problems like this, no matter what AMD says about
16 > it. Seeing as how you have an AMD 64, I'm not sure about the sensor type- all
17 > I'm saying is that the readings can vary wildly, and are not to be trusted,
18 > especially considering your current problems.
19 >
20 > Robert Crawford
21
22 Now I tend to lean towards your solution.
23 It could be heat related.
24 I've disable on-board network and add standard PCI card on a IRQ3
25 (separate IRQ); so the SATA controller has its own IRQ as well.
26
27 The computer freesed once during "emerge sync" without any error
28 message, and with error during emerge Apache.
31 #Joseph
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list