From: Robert Crawford <flacycads@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Going to Ubuntu - was 1.) Kernel panic - not syncing: Aiee, killing interupt handler
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 14:06:38
1 > > I have an old IDE drive, maybe I can squeeze Gentoo on it for testing.
2 > > Bob has a good idea too regarding the CPU compound under the heat-sink
3 > > but at CPU temp. 39C I don't see how that could cause any problem.
4 > >
5 > > --
6 > > #Joseph
7
8 No matter what the temp sensors are reading, your problem definitely sounds
9 like it's heat related. Temp sensor readings can, and often are not accurate,
10 sometimes to an amazing degree. I don't know what type of sensor your cpu
11 uses, but if it's the type under the cpu, it might not be in good contact
12 with the cpu itself, thus giving false readings, I wouldn't be surprised if
13 your cpu temp was really over 50C. In my experience, temps over 50C. with
14 AMD 32bit cpus start giving problems like this, no matter what AMD says about
15 it. Seeing as how you have an AMD 64, I'm not sure about the sensor type- all
16 I'm saying is that the readings can vary wildly, and are not to be trusted,
17 especially considering your current problems.
18
19 Robert Crawford
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list