From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for NAS appliance?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 22:57:54
1 On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 2:56 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 11:06 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
6 > > Not a recommendation precisely but there's a guy on YouTube named Jeff Geerling that's doing a lot of that sort of thing using a Raspberry Pi and multiple SATA drives. I've just built my first RP4 box aimed at astrophotography and I'm pretty impressed with how well the Pi works. My next project will likely be some sort of NAS box using a second Pi4 with an M.2 system drive.
9 > I run LizardFS and at this point Pi4s are my preferred hardware for
10 > storage nodes. However, I don't deal with much IOPS. I tend to use
11 > USB3 hard drives for convenience/cost. Really though SATA on a Pi4
12 > wouldn't be super-ideal anyway due to the lack of PCIe (I think it
13 > lacks it at least). You can find ARM SBCs that have PCIe capable of
14 > handling an HBA which are probably better if you want a bunch of SATA
15 > drives, though those have their downsides. If you're serious about
16 > IOPS I'm not sure anything cheap will do the trick.
17 >
18 > I would definitely avoid Pi2/3 for this due to the combo of 100MBps
19 > networking and USB2 and a lot of the IO goes through USB2 in the first
20 > place. It is just not a very good setup for IO at all, and there are
21 > much better alternatives. The Pi4 though is pretty solid as long as
22 > you don't mind USB3 (and it has two hosts so you can basically run 4
23 > spinning disks all-out without a performance hit until you get to the
24 > network at least).
25 >
26 > Gigabit network is its own bottleneck for any kind of storage. I'm
27 > too cheap to try to use anything better, but anybody doing serious DFS
28 > is going to want 10Gbps, or often dual 10Gbps.
29 >
30 > --
31 > Rich
34 My understanding (from Geerling's video as well as looking at the Pi
35 Compute Module manual) is that the standard RP4 has PCI express
36 but it's hooked to the USB3 chip. In the case of the Pi 4 Compute
37 module the PCI express is available to be used by the motherboard
38 that you plug the compute module into.
39
40 https://datasheets.raspberrypi.com/cm4/cm4-datasheet.pdf
41
42 The NAS box Geering was demoing in this video:
43
44 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtdVotS3018&t=1023s
45
46 is a kickstarter project
47
48 https://pibox.io/
49
50 which I don't think is available yet but will run in the $250
51 range without the drives. It appears that the motherboard
52 they designed takes the PCIe to a card with a PCIe-to-SATA
53 controller which is how you get better performance.
54
55 This designed is GB Ethernet which is probably the
56 actual performance bottleneck.
57
58 Cheers,
59 Mark