From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for NAS appliance?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 23:54:41
1 On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 5:57 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > which I don't think is available yet but will run in the $250
4 > range without the drives. It appears that the motherboard
5 > they designed takes the PCIe to a card with a PCIe-to-SATA
6 > controller which is how you get better performance.
7
8 With the USB3 solution your $40 SBC can directly access a hard drive.
9 Now we're talking about adding $250 of hardware to get to SATA.
10
11 Honestly, if you're going to start spending that much I'd really
12 question why we're not just using a PC.
13
14 I would love to see more reasonably-priced ARM options with decent IO
15 and RAM. If you want ARM and 32GB of RAM good luck finding something
16 for under $1k. For anything that runs 24x7 the power savings are
17 quite significant with ARM, but you definitely give up performance and
18 IO and of course general flexibility, If you're going to start
19 spending hundreds of dollars on ARM unless it is as some kind of
20 prototyping setup I'd really question why you wouldn't just use
21 inexpensive PC hardware. Get something with integrated graphics and
22 you have lots of PCIe lanes available for IO. You can get used HBAs
23 fairly inexpensively as well, though I do question the reliability of
24 some of that stuff (used).
25
26 One other thing, I've used LSI HBAs with Rockpro64 SBCs (which have
27 PCIe), and the HBAs use a ton of power. The RK3399 might use very
28 little power (esp idle), but that LSI HBA is practically a space
29 heater even when idle. Maybe their newer stuff is more efficient, but
30 you're not going to get those for $30 on eBay.
33 Rich