From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Suggestions for NAS appliance?
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 00:10:19
1 On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 4:55 PM Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 5:57 PM Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > which I don't think is available yet but will run in the $250
6 > > range without the drives. It appears that the motherboard
7 > > they designed takes the PCIe to a card with a PCIe-to-SATA
8 > > controller which is how you get better performance.
9 >
10 > With the USB3 solution your $40 SBC can directly access a hard drive.
11 > Now we're talking about adding $250 of hardware to get to SATA.
12 >
13 > Honestly, if you're going to start spending that much I'd really
14 > question why we're not just using a PC.
15 >
16 > I would love to see more reasonably-priced ARM options with decent IO
17 > and RAM. If you want ARM and 32GB of RAM good luck finding something
18 > for under $1k. For anything that runs 24x7 the power savings are
19 > quite significant with ARM, but you definitely give up performance and
20 > IO and of course general flexibility, If you're going to start
21 > spending hundreds of dollars on ARM unless it is as some kind of
22 > prototyping setup I'd really question why you wouldn't just use
23 > inexpensive PC hardware. Get something with integrated graphics and
24 > you have lots of PCIe lanes available for IO. You can get used HBAs
25 > fairly inexpensively as well, though I do question the reliability of
26 > some of that stuff (used).
27 >
28 > One other thing, I've used LSI HBAs with Rockpro64 SBCs (which have
29 > PCIe), and the HBAs use a ton of power. The RK3399 might use very
30 > little power (esp idle), but that LSI HBA is practically a space
31 > heater even when idle. Maybe their newer stuff is more efficient, but
32 > you're not going to get those for $30 on eBay.
33 >
34 > --
35 > Rich
38 No disagreements at all. I was only providing 1) something for the OP
39 to look at, and 2) info on your point/question/observation about RP4
40 having or not having PCIe.
41
42 As for YouTube 'influencers' I take them with a grain of salt. This guy
43 was given preproduction product which almost certainly was free and given
44 so as to produce positive press.
45
46 Mark