From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:47:15
1 On 2015-03-30, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 30/03/2015 15:04, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 13:44:59 +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 12:15:01 +0000 (UTC), Holger Hoffstätte wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>>> Portage does not override your choices, and it certainly does not
7 >>>>> allow one single ebuild to automagically change the behaviour of
8 >>>>> multiple other ebuilds. The correct way to bring about changes in
9 >>>>> behaviour is to add your global choices to make.conf (which is
10 >>>>> outside the control of the tree), or to add your explicit changes to
11 >>>>> package.*
12 >>>>
13 >>>> ..that just shows the root of the problem: the ABI is not handled
14 >>>> consistently, but rather as a per-package configuration choice.
15 >>>
16 >>> The news item also showed how to make it a global choice, avoiding the
17 >>> need to multiple per-package directories.
18 >>
19 >> I'm not sure that's a solution to the problem at all (which is why I
20 >> didn't do it on my machines either).
21
22 If the problem is that you don't want things to be inconsistent, then
23 it _does_ solve the problem.
24
25 >> Apart from always wasting much more work & resources than necessary
26 >> for no good reason
27
28 The reason is that somebody wanted their system to be "consistent." I
29 don't think that's a particulary good reason, but that's the nice
30 thing aboug Gentoo. Everybody gets to decide what is important to
31 them, and build their system accordingly.
32
33 >> it doesn't answer the question what happens as soon as I want to
34 >> build a package that is 64-bit-only - in which case you'd end up in
35 >> the same situation we have now, just mirrored.
36
37 You can have your system be consistent by setting up everything using
38 global values in make.conf, or you can choose to override that
39 consistency by manually enabling/disabling USE variables on a
40 per-package basis. That's how Gentoo works and how Gentoo has always
41 worked. I don't how this is any different.
42
43 > Maybe it's time we asked the multilib devs how they intended to deal
44 > with these questions you raise.
45
46 It seems there are two options:
47
48 1) Add abi_x86_32 on a package-by-package basis (or let emerge do it
49 for you when you tell it to install something with 32-bit
50 requirements like acroread).
51
52 2) Add ABI_X86="64 32" to make.conf, and then add -abi_x86_32 on a
53 package-by-package basis if/when you want to build something
54 64-bit-only.
55
56 It looks like they intended for you to choose whether you want 32 bit
57 versions built as the exception or as the rule. For the former, you
58 do 1). For the latter, you do 2).
59
60 So far, I'm going with 1). When I decided to install acroread this
61 morning, emerge added abi_x86_32 flags to package.use for about 80
62 packages. The other option would have re-built about 200 packages.
63
64 Either way would have worked, but I wanted to see if emerge really was
65 able to selectively rebuild the subset of packages required by
66 acroread. AFAICT, it did just fine.
69 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Yes, but will I
70 at see the EASTER BUNNY in
71 gmail.com skintight leather at an
72 IRON MAIDEN concert?