From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 20:29:01
1 On Mon, 30 Mar 2015 19:46:54 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > >>> The news item also showed how to make it a global choice, avoiding
4 > >>> the need to multiple per-package directories.
5 > >>
6 > >> I'm not sure that's a solution to the problem at all (which is why I
7 > >> didn't do it on my machines either).
8 >
9 > If the problem is that you don't want things to be inconsistent, then
10 > it _does_ solve the problem.
11 >
12 > >> Apart from always wasting much more work & resources than necessary
13 > >> for no good reason
14 >
15 > The reason is that somebody wanted their system to be "consistent." I
16 > don't think that's a particulary good reason, but that's the nice
17 > thing aboug Gentoo. Everybody gets to decide what is important to
18 > them, and build their system accordingly.
19
20 It's also practical as it requires no other changes to get your system
21 working. However, it is even less efficient than I had envisaged.
22
23 ABI_X86="64 32" emerge --update --deep --changed-use --with-bdeps y
24 -pv @world
25
26 gives
27
28 Total: 237 packages (237 reinstalls),
29
30 Whereas:
31
32 grep -cv '^#' /etc/portage/package.use/abi_x86_32
33
34 gives 119 packages.
35
36 So setting it globally would require three times as many packages to be
37 rebuilt on this KDE system.
41 Neil Bothwick
42
43 You are a completely unique individual, just like everybody else.