From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT virtual stuff] gentoo vm appliance
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:18:13
1 On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 20:12, Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 > On Thursday, June 23 at 13:45 (+0200), Joost Roeleveld said:
5 >
6 >> > Yes the stage4 should work similarly.  However Pandu was asking
7 >> about
8 >> > building ".xva" which I know nothing about, unless an .xva is
9 >> similar
10 >> > to/same as a stage4 (I have no idea)?
11 >>
12 >> .xva is a format specifically for Citrix Xen.
13 >>
14 >> There are tools to convert "classic" Xen VMs to "xva" files:
15 >> http://www.xen.org/files/xva/README
16 >>
17 >> I would be willing to assist in getting this tool to work with your
18 >> program.
19 >> All I'd need is a copy of your program along with assistance from
20 >> Pandu Poluan
21 >> to test the resulting XVA files.
22 >>
23 >> I do not run Citrix XenServer and have no need for it as Xen itself
24 >> works fine
25 >> for me.
26 >
27 > Thank you. I downloaded the xva.py script and created a target to
28 > create .xva files.  The script appeared to run fine.  No errors, but I
29 > cannot verify that the .xva is good.  I used hvm and converted the raw
30 > image.  The .xva is 4.1G whereras the original raw image is only 414MB
31 > (sparse).  The .xva appears to be a tar file, but I guess w/o the -S
32 > flag passed to gnu tar.
33 >
34 > My program is hosted on bitbucket[1].  The documentation for it is
35 > outdated.
36 >
37 > -a
38 >
39 > [1] https://bitbucket.org/marduk/virtual-appliance/wiki/Home
40
41 I'll give it a drive tomorrow (already 21:13 here in my country)
42
43 Rgds,
44 --
45 Pandu E Poluan