From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: no cdrom (IDE)
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 23:40:44
1 On 06/27/2011 09:28 AM, Alexey Mishustin wrote:
2 >
3 > Here is the output of my lspci -k:
4 >
5 > SATA IDE Controller #1
6 > Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82d4
7 > Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
8 > Kernel modules: ata_piix
9 > SATA IDE Controller #2
10 > Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 82d4
11 > Kernel driver in use: ata_piix
12 > Kernel modules: ata_piix
13 >
14 > If I understand well, dvd-player should be connected to one of the two
15 > ata_piix IDE interfaces? My motherboard is ASUS P5Q SE2.
16
17 My hardware is several years older than yours, so my knowledge is obsolete :(
18
19 My dvd player uses the old flat-ribbon cable (5 cm wide) attached to an old
20 PATA controller plug, so naturally I need a PATA kernel driver to use the dvd
21 drive.
22
23 Does your dvd drive use a new (small) SATA cable to connect to the motherboard?
24
25 If the answer is yes, then your understanding is correct, and your kernel *should*
26 be announcing your dvd hardware in dmesg.
27
28 Are you sure the cables are connected properly to the dvd drive? Are the lights
29 on the dvd drive blinking normally during boot?
30
31 I'm still trying to separate hardware/driver problems from udev problems.