From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Any .config for vbox gentoo guest
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 20:18:05
1 On 04/08/2013 19:55, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 >
3 > On Aug 4, 2013 5:48 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
4 > <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> On 02/08/2013 23:08, Kerin Millar wrote:
7 >> > Regarding VirtualBox, it does support a virtio-net type ethernet adapter
8 >> > so you would certainly benefit from enabling CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET in a
9 > guest.
10 >> >
11 >> > I'm not entirely certain as to where VirtualBox stands with regard to
12 >> > PVOPS support [1] but it would probably also help to enable
13 >> > CONFIG_PARAVIRT_GUEST (even though there are no directly applicable
14 >> > sub-options).
17 >> How well or otherwise does it perform?
18 >>
19 >> I have a bunch of minimal VMs in a dev environment using Intel Pro1000,
20 >> and have considered changing to virtio. But it's a lot of work to do[1]
21 >> so someone else's opinion first would be nice.
22 >>
23 >> [1] They are Gentoo VMs but don't have sources installed and can't
24 >> compile a kernel with the mere 256G RAM I give them. So the entire
25 >> kernel+modules has to be built somewhere else and scp'ed to the VM.
26 >> hence "lot of work"
27 >>
28 >> --
29 >> Alan McKinnon
30 >> alan.mckinnon@×××××.com <mailto:alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
34 > Good Lord! Your VM has 256 GB of RAM??
35 >
36 > That's even larger than some virtualization hosts we have in the company...
40 :-)
41
42 They are *gentoo* vms though, and have to do things non-gentoo hosts
43 don't have to do. Like build gcc for example, and run portage.
44
45 Both of those beasts are memory-hungry. Without them, they would
46 probably run just fine on 64M but I haven't bothered trying - the host
47 has 16G and even with every VM running they still us less than a third
48 of all memory
49
50 I sometimes shake my head and wonder about current RAM usage. I'm old
51 enough to remember programming a Sinclair Mk XIV with 256 bytes of RAM.
52 An upgrade to 512 bytes was a significant and rather expensive upgrade :-)
56 Alan McKinnon
57 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com