From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Any .config for vbox gentoo guest
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 17:55:19
1 On Aug 4, 2013 5:48 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 02/08/2013 23:08, Kerin Millar wrote:
4 > > Regarding VirtualBox, it does support a virtio-net type ethernet adapter
5 > > so you would certainly benefit from enabling CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET in a
6 guest.
7 > >
8 > > I'm not entirely certain as to where VirtualBox stands with regard to
9 > > PVOPS support [1] but it would probably also help to enable
10 > > CONFIG_PARAVIRT_GUEST (even though there are no directly applicable
11 > > sub-options).
14 > How well or otherwise does it perform?
15 >
16 > I have a bunch of minimal VMs in a dev environment using Intel Pro1000,
17 > and have considered changing to virtio. But it's a lot of work to do[1]
18 > so someone else's opinion first would be nice.
19 >
20 > [1] They are Gentoo VMs but don't have sources installed and can't
21 > compile a kernel with the mere 256G RAM I give them. So the entire
22 > kernel+modules has to be built somewhere else and scp'ed to the VM.
23 > hence "lot of work"
24 >
25 > --
26 > Alan McKinnon
27 > alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
31 Good Lord! Your VM has 256 GB of RAM??
32
33 That's even larger than some virtualization hosts we have in the company...
34
35 Rgds,