From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Switching AP from madwifi to ath5k
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:28:00
1 > I've tried several times to switch from the madwifi wireless drivers
2 > to the in-kernel ath5k.  Since I'm up to 2.6.32, I'd like to give it
3 > another try.
4 >
5 > It looks like wlan0 is starting in master mode and my laptop is
6 > connecting to it successfully.  The problem is that shorewall won't
7 > start (for NAT) because it says the loc zone is empty.  The only
8 > interface in the loc zone is wlan0, which is started by hostapd
9 > instead of the net.wlan0 initscript.  Shouldn't shorewall know wlan0
10 > has started?  It doesn't check the initscript, does it?
11
12 After getting some info from the shorewall list, it sounds like my
13 wlan0 is not completely up, even though my laptop can see the network.
14 I don't think the laptop is connecting successfully as I originally
15 thought it was.
16
17 I'm used to starting /etc/init.d/net.ath0, but with ath5k you're
18 supposed to let hostapd start wlan0 without the net.wlan0 initscript.
19 How am I supposed to specify an IP address for the router's WLAN?
20
21 Does anyone have ath5k running in master mode?
22
23 - Grant