From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UDP traffic?
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 00:32:49
1 On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:22:56 +0100
2 Uwe Thiem wrote:
3
4 > On 14 August 2006 21:26, Mark Knecht wrote:
5 > > Hi,
6 > > I was setting up a game for my son using Cedega. The game
7 > > installed, and successfully went to the net to download and install
8 > > the updates. However, when we tried to get the Linux game to join a
9 > > LAN session with the same game running on some Windows machines I got
10 > > a message about not having a network provider. Since it can get to the
11 > > Internet to download the updates I know it's not a hard networking
12 > > failure. What is it?
13 > >
14 > > In the past I've heard that some of these games use UDP instead of
15 > > TCP. I was wondering where I configure a Gentoo machine to allow UDP
16 > > traffic, preferably only on my local network if possible so that I
17 > > could just see if this was the problem.
18 >
19 > As long as you don't have a firewall running, UDP is enabled. In case you do
20 > run a firewall, that is the place to allow UDP on the used ports.
21 >
22 > Uwe
23
24 tcpdump or ethereal will allow you to see what is happening on the
25 network before the error message appears.
31 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list