From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: File system testing
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 20:57:02
1 Alec Ten Harmsel <alec <at> alectenharmsel.com> writes:
4 > As far as HDFS goes, I would only set that up if you will use it for
5 > Hadoop or related tools. It's highly specific, and the performance is
6 > not good unless you're doing a massively parallel read (what it was
7 > designed for). I can elaborate why if anyone is actually interested.
8
9 Acutally, from my research and my goal (one really big scientific simulation
10 running constantly). Many folks are recommending to skip Hadoop/HDFS all
11 together and go straight to mesos/spark. RDD (in-memory) cluster calculations
12 are at the heart of my needs. The opposite end of the spectrum, loads
13 of small files and small apps; I dunno about, but, I'm all ears.
14 In the end, my (3) node scientific cluster will morph and support
15 the typical myriad of networked applications, but I can take
16 a few years to figure that out, or just copy what smart guys like
17 you and joost do.....
20 > We use Lustre for our high performance general storage. I don't have any
21 > numbers, but I'm pretty sure it is *really* fast (10Gbit/s over IB
22 > sounds familiar, but don't quote me on that).
23
24 AT Umich, you guys should test the FhGFS/btrfs combo. The folks
25 at UCI swear about it, although they are only publishing a wee bit.
26 (you know, water cooler gossip)...... Surely the Wolverines do not
27 want those californians getting up on them?
28
29 Are you guys planning a mesos/spark test?
30
31 > > Personally, I would read up on these and see how they work. Then,
32 > > based on that, decide if they are likely to assist in the specific
33 > > situation you are interested in.
34
35 It's a ton of reading. It's not apples-to-apple_cider type of reading.
36 My head hurts.....
39 I'm leaning to DFS/LFS
40
41 (2) Luster/btrfs and FhGFS/btrfs