From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Is it still advisable to partition a big hard drive?
Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2016 09:00:04
1 2016-09-01 11:03 GMT+03:00 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>:
2 > On Thu, 1 Sep 2016 10:18:29 +0300, gevisz wrote:
3 >
4 >> > it will take about 5 seconds to partition it.
5 >> > And a few more to mkfs it.
6 >>
7 >> Just to partition - may be, but I very much doubt
8 >> that it will take seconds to create a full-fledged
9 >> ext4 file system on these 5TB via USB2 connention.
10 >
11 > Even if that were the case, does it really matter?
12
13 You are right: it does not matter for the main question.
14 However, it is an additional reason to think twice and
15 ask a knowledgeable people before starting. :)
16
17 > You said you wanted to use this drive for backups,
18 > surely doing it right is more important than doing
19 > it quickly. It's not like you have to hold its hand
20 > while mkfs is running.
21
22 But I would have to keep my fingers crossed so that
23 there would not be a sudden blackout during the formatting
24 hard disk anyway. :)
25
26 > Neil Bothwick
27 >
28 > Bagpipe for free: Stuff cat under arm. Pull legs, chew tail.