From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: xf86-video-ati from git?
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 19:38:44
1 On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 11:17 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht <markknecht <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >>    I'm interested in how I would go about getting the xf86-video-ati
6 >> package from git? I would like to try the newest driver, if possible,
7 >> as it is apparently the reason I don't have 3d rendering enabled on my
8 >> HD5750 Evergreen card.
9 >
10 > Hello Mark,
11 >
12 > I'd be interested to here how your efforts work out....
13 > I have a similar card with no fan, (passive cooling; HIS 5550 ati card)
14 > that is waiting to be installed in my workstation.
15 >
16 > James
19 I'll report back more when I have things I can substantiate.
20
21 As for now I'd recommend being careful and not using it. For some
22 reason, possibly related or possibly not, none of my vmplayer
23 appliances work at all. They just die with error messages leaving lock
24 files behind in their respective directories and processes left
25 running in memory? I don't see how this would be caused by the git
26 version of the radeon driver but I'm not a happy camper at the moment.
27
28 Note that the only positive I've seen in this short test so far is the
29 KDE menus scroll up and down far more smoothly.
30
31 Cheers,
32 Mark