From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: What is the gimmick to run tightvnc from windows to gentoo
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:29:59
1 David Blamire-Brown <david@××××××××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > I did this a while back and I got it working by tunnelling via SSH
4 > (using putty on windows). But I can't remember the exact details
5 > off the top of my head. It may be worth googling that set-up. I seem
6 > to remember thinking it felt like a kludge and I can't quite
7 > remember why I ended up doing it, but I do remember that it worked.
8
9 Well at least that sounds promising. I did see mention of that in
10 some of my google searches but I wondered, If I had to use ssh, why
11 wouldn't I just pull the X session on linux across with ssh alone.
12 And forget about VNC.
13
14 I think I've heard that can be done....I think I may have even done it
15 sometime way back, but VNC is so easy the other direction it seems it
16 should be just as easy connecting windows vnc client to gentoo vnc
17 server.
18
19 For some reason the vnc server appears not to have any debug or
20 verbose switches. But not sure even if it did, since it appears the
21 connection is simply rejected, if that would help.
22
23 I'd like to see some log info as to why the connection is rejected.
24
25 I have sysklogd setup to report everything (*.* in syslog.conf) to a
26 /var/log/debug file so tailing that while I attempt the connection I'm
27 not seeing any evidence a connection is being rejected or even seen.
28
29 Seems there should be some way to see what is happening maybe from the
30 windows side but again no log info is being generated.
33 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list