From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is grub2 stable and who uses it?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 21:35:42
1 On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2011-10-04, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Then any boot loader will need to call something to start it.
5 >> Understand this: any Linux/Unix init system (systemd, SysV, Upstart,
6 >> OpenRC) is simply a program... that the Linux kernel itself executes.
7 >
8 > I know.  What I don't understand is the statement that grub2 calls (or
9 > connects to) the init system.
10 >
11 >> That's the init= command line in the kernel.
12 >>
13 >> The bootloader calls an operating system. The init system (if at all)
14 >> that the OS uses doesn't matter: so if you have an operating system,
15 >> any bootloader should be able to boot it (bearing things like being
16 >> able to understand the filesystem etc.)
17 >
18 > I know how bootloaders like LILO and grub-legacy work.  What I don't
19 > understand is the statement that grub2 is somehow aware of the booted
20 > OS's init system.
21
22 Oh. The configuration file of GRUB2 is autogenerated, and this means
23 that the init=systemd has to be passed to the kernel line.
24
25 In that sense, GRUB2 is "aware" of it.
26
27 Regards.
28 --
29 Canek Peláez Valdés