From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is grub2 stable and who uses it?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 21:25:44
1 On 2011-10-04, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Then any boot loader will need to call something to start it.
4 > Understand this: any Linux/Unix init system (systemd, SysV, Upstart,
5 > OpenRC) is simply a program... that the Linux kernel itself executes.
6
7 I know. What I don't understand is the statement that grub2 calls (or
8 connects to) the init system.
9
10 > That's the init= command line in the kernel.
11 >
12 > The bootloader calls an operating system. The init system (if at all)
13 > that the OS uses doesn't matter: so if you have an operating system,
14 > any bootloader should be able to boot it (bearing things like being
15 > able to understand the filesystem etc.)
16
17 I know how bootloaders like LILO and grub-legacy work. What I don't
18 understand is the statement that grub2 is somehow aware of the booted
19 OS's init system.
22 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! FROZEN ENTREES may
23 at be flung by members of
24 gmail.com opposing SWANSON SECTS ...