From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is grub2 stable and who uses it?
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2011 21:15:26
1 On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2011-10-04, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 1:50 PM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On 2011-10-04, Canek Pel??ez Vald??s <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>>>> That it's not true. It connects to whatever init system do you have
7 >>>>>> (OpenRC, SysV, systemd, Upstart),
8 >>>>>
9 >>>>> I'm curious: what if you don't have one? ??I use grub-legacy to boot
10 >>>>> stuff other than Unix.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> When I said "it connects", I mean "calls". The same way it calls
13 >>>> whatever thingy Window uses.
14 >>>
15 >>> Right. ??And what about non-windows, non-Unix systems that don't have
16 >>> any thingy to call?
17 >>
18 >> Then you don't have an operating system.
19 >
20 > Yes, I do.
21
22 Then any boot loader will need to call something to start it.
23 Understand this: any Linux/Unix init system (systemd, SysV, Upstart,
24 OpenRC) is simply a program... that the Linux kernel itself executes.
25 That's the init= command line in the kernel.
26
27 The bootloader calls an operating system. The init system (if at all)
28 that the OS uses doesn't matter: so if you have an operating system,
29 any bootloader should be able to boot it (bearing things like being
30 able to understand the filesystem etc.)
31
32 Regards.
33 --
34 Canek Peláez Valdés