From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xine - no sound on DVDs - solved (sort of)
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 20:44:39
1 On 9/19/07, Miroslav Puda <pakanek@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 17:34 Tue 18 Sep , Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > I don't see anything in /etc/modules.d/alsa that defines the second
4 > > card as default. Does anyone know how Alsa does that?
5 >
6 > I think you need alsa support through modules for this but I am not
7 > sure. First card is default one. To figure out index of your sound cards do
8 > this:
9 > $ cat /proc/asound/modules
10 > 0 cx88_alsa
11 > 1 snd_via82x
12 > 2 snd_mpu401
13 >
14 > Now write this to /etc/modprobe.d/sound:
15 > options snd_via82xx index=0
16 > options snd_mpu401 index=1
17 > options cx88_alsa index=2
18 >
19 > Card with index zero will be default. Then run:
20 > # update-modules
21 > After next boot, order of your sound cards should be ok.
22 >
23 > Note: I have this problem without any HW or SW changes. I don't know
24 > what triger this.
25
26 Hi Miroslav,
27 Yes, I think I already have all that set up correctly. See the
28 following info:
29
30 dragonfly ~ # cat /proc/asound/modules
31 0 snd_intel8x0
32 1 snd_usb_audio
33 dragonfly ~ # cat /etc/modules.d/alsa | grep options
34 options snd-intel8x0 index=0
35 options snd-usb-audio index=1
36 options snd cards_limit=2
37 dragonfly ~ # cat /etc/modprobe.conf | grep options
38 options snd-intel8x0 index=0
39 options snd-usb-audio index=1
40 options snd cards_limit=2
41 dragonfly ~ #
42
43 The Intel HDA card is default. The USB device is an external USB to
44 Optical spdif converter that runs to the external home theater
45 receiver.
46
47 All audio applications EXCEPT xine use the internal Intel card.
48 ONLY xine is using the external USB device. (Card 1 instead of Card 0)
49
50 Keep in mind that one my Gentoo-based AMD64 machine I have two
51 audio cards as shown here and xine is working fine. Audio goes to card
52 0 exactly as it should. It gets mixed into the HDSP later but I can
53 tell that xine audio is going through the 8X0 driver as it responds to
54 the Gnome volume control and shows p on the correct input in
55 hdspmixer.
56
57 mark@lightning ~ $ cat /proc/asound/modules
58 0 snd_intel8x0
59 1 snd_hdsp
60 mark@lightning ~ $
61
62 Note that you might want to add the options snd cards_limit=3 to
63 your config file.
64
65 Thanks,
66 Mark