From: Mattias Merilai <jah@××.ee>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] adding unicode use flag?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:32:35
1 b.n. wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 > When I first installed Gentoo I missed the +unicode use flag, that I
5 > would have liked to have.
6 > I didn't worry for a long time, but I have been annoyed enough a bit
7 > here and there to consider adding it to my use flags.
8 >
9 > I'd do it straight, but I remember this old thread:
10 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=274175&highlight=ncurses+deathgrip
13 > This was a thread about *removing* unicode, actually. However I fear
14 > that messing with unicode could create serious problems. Expecially
15 > since I woulnd't emerge --newuse everything at once, if possible: I'd
16 > just be OK to have unicode when upgrading.
17 >
18 > Any advice / real life experience?
19 >
20 > Thanks,
21 > m.
24 If your locale's alphabet does not end with z you might have to
25 1. declare LC_ALL="C" in make.conf to override systemwide locale or
26 2. use per-user locales leaving sysadmin and root locales to default.
27
28 A lot of configure scripts use awk,sed and the like in operations with
29 [a-zA-Z] not realizing that some alphabets are not a-z but rather a-y
30 for example. This can break stuff when portage gets used with an
31 alphabet like this.
32
33 The USE flag by itself haven't caused me any trouble, in the worst case
34 you only have to emerge --newuse whatever causes trouble.
35 --
36 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list