From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: raid1 grub ext4
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 15:18:22
1 On Tuesday 12 April 2011 09:57:26 Dale wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 12 April 2011 15:10:52 James wrote:
4 > >> Stroller<stroller<at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
5 > >>> There's no need for extents on such a small partition,
6 > >>> nor journalling (because you write to /boot so
7 > >>> rarely, the likelihood of a power failure when you're
8 > >>> doing so is minuscule).
9 > >>
10 > >> Yea, sure, but that's not the point. I just wanted to
11 > >> use ext4 for everything. Not on this system, but often,
12 > >> my boot partition is very active, as I copy many kernels
13 > >> there for many different (arch)machines and different hardware
14 > >> (HD, SSD, CF, SD...) I try to make the many systems I admin
15 > >> as homogeneous as possible, hence the switch to ext4
16 > >> for boot.
17 > >
18 > > Nevertheless, if ext4 isn't working for you you should follow the advice
19 > > you've been given and format /boot as ext2. All my boot partitions are
20 > > ext2, regardless of which others are ext4 or reiserfs.
21 >
22 > Same here. I use ext3 and reiserfs, depending on what it is, but /boot
23 > is always ext2. Why, it works well with grub and has for many many
24 > years and most likely will for many years to come as well.
25 >
26 > As for making things the same, that my not always be a good idea
27 > either. I put some things on reiserfs but some on ext3. It seams each
28 > file system has its strengths and weaknesses. I read that portage, with
29 > a lot of small files, does better on ext* file systems. So I put
30 > portage on that. Most everything else is on reiserfs.
31
32 Where did you read that portage, with lots of small files, is best on ext*?
33 I was under the impression that reiserfs has better performance with lots of
34 smaller files.
37 Joost