From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: raid1 grub ext4
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 14:59:07
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 12 April 2011 15:10:52 James wrote:
3 >
4 >> Stroller<stroller<at> stellar.eclipse.co.uk> writes:
7 >>> There's no need for extents on such a small partition,
8 >>> nor journalling (because you write to /boot so
9 >>> rarely, the likelihood of a power failure when you're
10 >>> doing so is minuscule).
11 >>>
12 >> Yea, sure, but that's not the point. I just wanted to
13 >> use ext4 for everything. Not on this system, but often,
14 >> my boot partition is very active, as I copy many kernels
15 >> there for many different (arch)machines and different hardware
16 >> (HD, SSD, CF, SD...) I try to make the many systems I admin
17 >> as homogeneous as possible, hence the switch to ext4
18 >> for boot.
19 >>
20 > Nevertheless, if ext4 isn't working for you you should follow the advice you've
21 > been given and format /boot as ext2. All my boot partitions are ext2, regardless
22 > of which others are ext4 or reiserfs.
26 Same here. I use ext3 and reiserfs, depending on what it is, but /boot
27 is always ext2. Why, it works well with grub and has for many many
28 years and most likely will for many years to come as well.
29
30 As for making things the same, that my not always be a good idea
31 either. I put some things on reiserfs but some on ext3. It seams each
32 file system has its strengths and weaknesses. I read that portage, with
33 a lot of small files, does better on ext* file systems. So I put
34 portage on that. Most everything else is on reiserfs.
35
36 Just my $0.02 worth and that ain't much.
37
38 Dale
39