From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: raid1 grub ext4
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:16:03
1 Dale writes:
2
3 > Same here. I use ext3 and reiserfs, depending on what it is, but /boot
4 > is always ext2. Why, it works well with grub and has for many many
5 > years and most likely will for many years to come as well.
6 >
7 > As for making things the same, that my not always be a good idea
8 > either. I put some things on reiserfs but some on ext3. It seams each
9 > file system has its strengths and weaknesses. I read that portage, with
10 > a lot of small files, does better on ext* file systems. So I put
11 > portage on that. Most everything else is on reiserfs.
12
13 It's the other way around here - all ext3 except for /boot, but the portage
14 tree is on reiserfs. Which is said to be very fast when dealing with lots of
15 small files, because files under 4K are stored directly in the inodes.
16
17 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReiserFS#Performance
18
19 Wonko