From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Java install question
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 03:06:54
1 On Dec 18, 2005, at 8:58 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2
3 > On 12/18/05, Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
4 >> Mark Knecht schreef:
5 >>>
6 >>> Do anyone know what was meant by the final comment? I've copied it
7 >>> here for ease of discussion. How do I set the Java VM to the JDK?
8 >>> Why
9 >>> is this recommended?
10 >>
11 >> 1) java-config.
12 >
13 > OK. Thanks Holly. But if I'm going to set the VM to be the jdk, then
14 > why install the jre? I guess I have no clue about the difference
15 > between the jre and the jdk or why both are needed or what each one
16 > does. I can say that installing the jdk broke one aspect of the sun
17 > jre. Bummer for me.
18 >
19 this has always confused me...if you install the jdk, in the path
20 with the jdk (/usr/local/java for instance), there's a jre
21 directory...you have /usr/local/java/bin/java and /usr/local/java/jre/
22 bin/java.....both. so you don't need to install both. the jdk is
23 INCLUSIVE of the jre.
26 >> 2) because you won't then get the errors you reported at the
27 >> beginning
28 >> of this thread :-) . At least with Sun java; I switched a while
29 >> ago to
30 >> support the java apps I use that require 1.5.0, and don't remember so
31 >> much how blackdown works anymore.
32 >
33 > The problem is, for me and as far as I know, the Sun jre doesn't have
34 > browser support in the 64-bit arena so that's been an issue for me
35 > here.
36 >
37 > Thanks for the info.
38 >