From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Java install question
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 03:02:19
1 On 12/18/05, Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht schreef:
3 > >
4 > > Do anyone know what was meant by the final comment? I've copied it
5 > > here for ease of discussion. How do I set the Java VM to the JDK? Why
6 > > is this recommended?
7 >
8 > 1) java-config.
9
10 OK. Thanks Holly. But if I'm going to set the VM to be the jdk, then
11 why install the jre? I guess I have no clue about the difference
12 between the jre and the jdk or why both are needed or what each one
13 does. I can say that installing the jdk broke one aspect of the sun
14 jre. Bummer for me.
17 > 2) because you won't then get the errors you reported at the beginning
18 > of this thread :-) . At least with Sun java; I switched a while ago to
19 > support the java apps I use that require 1.5.0, and don't remember so
20 > much how blackdown works anymore.
21
22 The problem is, for me and as far as I know, the Sun jre doesn't have
23 browser support in the 64-bit arena so that's been an issue for me
24 here.
25
26 Thanks for the info.
27