From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a question about updating process
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 11:26:19
1 On 29/07/2014 12:52, behrouz khosravi wrote:
2 > well chromium was just an example. I just think that when there is a
3 > version upgrade, a patch should be enough.
4 > I have read that portage is migrating to git, but I guess I got it
5 > wrong, because I thought that the source codes will be maintained using
6 > git too.
7 > However why not? why not use git for source maintenance too?
8
9 The tree will OneDayRealSoonNow(TM)IPromise[1] be hosted in git.
10
11 Source tarballs? No. They belong to upstream and gentoo will do as
12 gentoo always has - follow upstream.
13
14 The downsides to running gentoo are
15
16 1. Lots of compiling
17 2. Lots of downloading
18
19 There is nothing we can do to reduce these downsides - that is the price
20 of the amazing flexibility from USE.
21
22 If you can't afford the downloads, you must switch to another distro, or
23 use a proxy. But it's not something Gentoo can solve
27 [1] Excuse the sarcasm, it's a gentoo in-joke how long this is taking
28 (or if it will ever be complete at all)
33 > regards.
36 > On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk