From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving things around
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 15:30:17
1 Am Sun, Apr 03, 2022 at 09:59:22AM +0100 schrieb Wols Lists:
2 > On 03/04/2022 02:15, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
3 > > Rsync has a bwlimit argument which helps here. Note that rsync copies
4 > > the whole file on what it considers local storage (which can be mounted
5 > > network shares) ... this can cause a real slowdown.
6 >
7 > It won't help on the initial copy, but look at the - I think it is -
8 > --in-place option.
9
10 This one is mostly useful if space on the destination is tight or the data
11 link (for FS commands) is slooow, because normally rsync creates a new temp
12 file and moves it into place once the transfer is complete. This to ensure
13 you never lose data due to a broken connection. If space is tight you could
14 also consider --delete-before instead, to first do all deletions before
15 copying the new stuff.
16
17 > It won't help with the "read and compare", but it only writes what has
18 > changed, so if a big file has changed slightly, it'll stop it re-copying the
19 > whole file.
20
21 I think you mean the -c (or --checksum) option, which causes rsync to read
22 the source and destination file (if both exist) in order to determine
23 whether the source has changed. In normal use cases, this should not be
24 necessary, as the file’s metadata (timestamps, permissions, inode numbers)
25 are enough for that.
26
27 As long as you don’t use -c, rsync is very quick at finding changed files.
28
29 My standard command is rsync -ai --delete, wich does what most people™ need
30 (-a/--archive means to copy all time stamps, permissions and owner, and -i
31 shows what rsync does and why it does it). In some special cases, I include
32 -x to not cross file systems (like when archiving /), or -H for hard links.
33 I don’t deliberately use extended attributes, for which -X is your friend.
36 Grüße | Greetings | Salut | Qapla’
37 Please do not share anything from, with or about me on any social network.
38
39 “Don’t put multiple statements on a single line unless you have something
40 to hide.” – Linus Torvalds, Linux kernel coding style documentation