From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM and moving things around
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2022 16:05:33
1 On 03/04/2022 16:29, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Sun, Apr 03, 2022 at 09:59:22AM +0100 schrieb Wols Lists:
3 >> On 03/04/2022 02:15, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
4 >>> Rsync has a bwlimit argument which helps here. Note that rsync copies
5 >>> the whole file on what it considers local storage (which can be mounted
6 >>> network shares) ... this can cause a real slowdown.
7 >> It won't help on the initial copy, but look at the - I think it is -
8 >> --in-place option.
9
10 > This one is mostly useful if space on the destination is tight or the data
11 > link (for FS commands) is slooow, because normally rsync creates a new temp
12 > file and moves it into place once the transfer is complete. This to ensure
13 > you never lose data due to a broken connection. If space is tight you could
14 > also consider --delete-before instead, to first do all deletions before
15 > copying the new stuff.
16 >
17 And making a temporary file may be exactly what you DON'T want. I make
18 heavy use of hard links, and "make a temp file" absolutely buggers file
19 system integrity ...
20
21 And my use case with LVM and backups, "make a temp file" does both
22 absolutely nothing to protect file system integrity, and makes every
23 backup waste far more space than is necessary ...
24
25 So --in-place actually has a lot of uses outside your two examples. I
26 have oodles of space, and both my source and target are on fast sata
27 links in the same computer, but not using --in-place would be *very*
28 costly for me.
29
30 Cheers,
31 Wol