From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] EMERGENCY - GCC GONE!
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 18:51:36
1 I fixed it. Thank God that's over... it was good to go back to the
2 command line a bit for me. Keeps me sharp... even despite the huge
3 allergies I'm experiencing right now.
4
5 I've also added a note in my notes files to NEVER run anything like
6 "emerge --unmerge gcc" ever again. That was a huge mistake. Rather,
7 I've found through this experience gcc-config. Never knew that was
8 there... much to my misfortune.
9
10 Thanks a lot for your help - Without you I'd have to reinstall, since
11 I'm not skilled enough to brave the world of a live-cd and chroot (I
12 think) into my drive to then install gcc. At least, that's what I
13 think my next best option was... I'm not at all familiar with chroot
14 though, so all I can do is speculate. I think I'll go read its man
15 page now in celebration of the restoration of my system.
16
17 Also, right before I killed my system, I made something, a very very
18 elementary bash script (my first bash script - yay!) to toggle distcc
19 on and off. It's NOT terribly advanced, but it's a start... here it
20 is:
21
22 localhost ~ # cat /bin/ch_distcc
23 #!/bin/bash
24
25 # alternates between using make.conf and make.conf.other
26 # in other words, toggles between using distcc or not
27
28 # this should be where your make.conf lives.
29 MAKE_DIR="/etc/";
30
31 mv "$MAKE_DIR"make.conf "$MAKE_DIR"buffer
32 mv "$MAKE_DIR"make.conf.other "$MAKE_DIR"make.conf
33 mv "$MAKE_DIR"buffer "$MAKE_DIR"make.conf.other
34
35 I know it's not terribly good, it assumes that make.conf and
36 make.conf.other are exactly the same - except for the distcc part in
37 FEATURES="". But hey, it's something I can work on while chipping my
38 way through a excellent reference on bash I found and downloaded.
39
40 Thanks again for your help!
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list