From: Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] EMERGENCY - GCC GONE!
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 22:32:37
1 Lord Sauron wrote:
2
3 > I fixed it. Thank God that's over... it was good to go back to the
4 > command line a bit for me. Keeps me sharp... even despite the huge
5 > allergies I'm experiencing right now.
6 >
7 > I've also added a note in my notes files to NEVER run anything like
8 > "emerge --unmerge gcc" ever again. That was a huge mistake. Rather,
9 > I've found through this experience gcc-config. Never knew that was
10 > there... much to my misfortune.
11 >
12 > Thanks a lot for your help - Without you I'd have to reinstall, since
13 > I'm not skilled enough to brave the world of a live-cd and chroot (I
14 > think) into my drive to then install gcc. At least, that's what I
15 > think my next best option was... I'm not at all familiar with chroot
16 > though, so all I can do is speculate. I think I'll go read its man
17 > page now in celebration of the restoration of my system.
18 >
19 > Also, right before I killed my system, I made something, a very very
20 > elementary bash script (my first bash script - yay!) to toggle distcc
21 > on and off. It's NOT terribly advanced, but it's a start... here it
22 > is:
23 >
24 > localhost ~ # cat /bin/ch_distcc
25 > #!/bin/bash
26 >
27 > # alternates between using make.conf and make.conf.other
28 > # in other words, toggles between using distcc or not
29 >
30 > # this should be where your make.conf lives.
31 > MAKE_DIR="/etc/";
32 >
33 > mv "$MAKE_DIR"make.conf "$MAKE_DIR"buffer
34 > mv "$MAKE_DIR"make.conf.other "$MAKE_DIR"make.conf
35 > mv "$MAKE_DIR"buffer "$MAKE_DIR"make.conf.other
36 >
37 > I know it's not terribly good, it assumes that make.conf and
38 > make.conf.other are exactly the same - except for the distcc part in
39 > FEATURES="". But hey, it's something I can work on while chipping my
40 > way through a excellent reference on bash I found and downloaded.
41 >
42 > Thanks again for your help!
45 I recently changed mine to this:
46
47 > # FEATURES are settings that affect the functionality of portage. Most of
48 > # these settings are for developer use, but some are available to non-
49 > # developers as well. 'buildpkg' is an always-on setting for the
50 > emerge
51 > # flag of the same name. It causes binary packages to be created
52 > of all
53 > # packages that are merged.
54 > FEATURES="buildpkg ccache sandbox"
57 It sort of helps me in case I screw up. It happens sometimes, usually
58 when we least expect it too.
59
60 Glad you got it working.
61